A Letter to Pastors
Pastor Erwin Lutzer
We write today about the crisis for Christians created recently by the reckless U.S. Supreme Court decision legalizing same-sex marriage (Obergefell v. Hodges), and the attacks upon the free exercise of our Faith which have already begun.
We also want to share with you a plan which you can implement in your church to educate, energize and organize your members to successfully oppose the many attacks we are now seeing against our Constitutionally guaranteed religious freedom.Here are just a few examples of what is taking place today in America:
- Christian adoption ministries have been forced out of adoption services by government because they refuse to place children with same-sex couples!
- In Oregon, a Christian couple who own a bakery have been fined more than $130,000 because they refused to bake a cake to assist in a same-sex 'wedding' against their strongly held Christian beliefs.
- In Houston recently, prosecutors actually attempted to demand copies of Pastors' sermons to determine if they violated city gay rights ordinances!
- Churches are being told who they can hire and what needs to be included in their employee insurance policies by government.
- Christian universities are being threatened with a cut-off of student funding (i.e., Pell Grants) if the university does not provide dormitory space for homosexual couples.
We believe that the ultimate objective of the non-believing Left is to have government terminate charitable tax deductions to religious institutions and tax church properties that are currently tax exempt.
The leadership of the church must stand up courageously, Biblically and in a unified manner in protecting religious freedoms as guaranteed by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
Here's what you can do:
- Declare Religious Freedom Sunday at your church.
- Ask the members of your congregation to sign the Declaration of Religious Independence and present the signed statement to your local Congressman (see enclosed).
- Download a copy of David Barton's outstanding Religious Freedom Video and show it at your church (you can download it by visiting our website (www.1UnderGod.com). This provides your congregation with the historical background of their religious freedom. Find out what your ministry needs to do to protect your free exercise of religion.
- Plan to have a voter registration Sunday at your church. There are more than 60 million adult Christians in America and nearly 50% of them do not vote. Please go to our website for further assistance on church voter registration (www.1UnderGod.com).
- Finally, please join us in praying that America will once again return to its Christian religious foundation and the many blessings we have received as a result of our being truly One Nation Under God.
|Rev. Robert Vanden Bosch
Chairman, One Nation Under God Foundation